The 3.5 Stage of Development (Achiever) Up-shift from 1.5 Egocentric.
Leaders experiencing this stage tend to have these gifts
- Individual initiative.
- See subtle choices (plans, ideas). Subtle decision-making capacities are mature.
- Are goal oriented and hold expectations for those they lead
- Support those they lead to grow and learn for themselves
- Lead by example and plays to people's strengths
- Allow independence but holds others accountable
- Are understanding while giving direction
- Give those they lead some freedom to make decisions
- Can project self into other's shoes and imagine what they will be experiencing,
- Can agree to disagree.
- Can employ linear strategic thinking: knowing about thinking and feeling. Planning, and analysis arises.
- Operate in a time frame of one-five years or more into future.
- Allows for deductive reasoning, hypothesizing and goal setting.
- Experience a space that includes all of us: thus social justice appears and matures.
- Value effectiveness and efficiency more than perfection (80/20 rule).
- Sees progress and the perfectibility of human-kind through the scientific method.
- Accept feedback, especially if it helps them to achieve their goals and to improve.
- Values teamwork, for that gets them to their goal.
- Subtle ownership thus copyrights, patents, branding.
- See infinite options and are able to prioritize best ones.
- Sees the play of opposites: "I experience both fear and delight".
Leaders experiencing this stage tend to have these challenges
- Tend not to recognize when others see you subtly in return (can't see reciprocally).
- Thus they talk "at" subtly rather than "with".
- Work along side of others in a subtle way.
- Can't see contextually
- Struggle with balancing work, family, and play.
Achiever Leadership Tools: Management by Objectives, Strategic Planning, Balanced Scorecard; Quantitative Science; Consensus